Over a century ago, the foundation stone was laid for what is now one of Australia’s leading universities. The University of Queensland, a research university located in Brisbane, is consistently gained the top spot for business administration, life sciences, and mining engineering. The varsity offers numerous associate, bachelor, master, and doctoral degrees through a graduate school, a college, and 6 faculties.
It has been achieving various milestones and the most recent ones include the development of superconducting MRI magnets to scan human limbs and the invention of the HPV vaccine used to prevent cervical cancer. Many of us know about Peter C. Doherty, the Noble laureate in medicine; Geoffrey Rush, winner of the Triple Crown of Acting; and Tim Munro, triple Grammy Award winner. But it is time to know that these people are the alumni of the University of Queensland.
Read on to gain some in-depth knowledge about the university –
- The University’s flagship MBA program stands at the 16th spot, between MIT (15th) and YALE (19th) in the list of best MBA programs worldwide (Economic Intelligence Units List).
- Following the combination of US & UK based systems of teaching, the semesters include course credits and the class sizes are kept small for a better learning experience for the students.
- Other than the MBA program, there are various programs in the management sector offered by the UQ. These include- Business Economics, Commerce, Global Management, International Economics & Finance, and Project Management.
- As far as students’ investment is concerned, the average tuition fees stand at around $18,400/year and the average living expense at around $7,600/year.
- Being one of the best international universities, it attracts many corporate giants to conduct recruitment drives. The list includes names like Commonwealth Bank, Westpac Banking Group, Telstra, BHP Billiton, and Wesfarmers.
- With a whopping number of 52,000 students studying across its beautiful campuses, UQ houses nearly 15,000 international students who contribute to its diversity. When the best minds from all over the world come together, the environment becomes a learning hub.
- Majority of the students are pursuing an undergraduate program from the university (78%), while the rest (22%) is studying for a postgraduate degree.
- In total, there are close to 3,200 staff members in the academic faculty. Out of that, more than 50% are international. This is an indicator of a low student-to-staff ratio which is responsible for an effective and efficient learning experience for the students.
- This is one of the few universities where the number of female students is higher than that of male students (55:45).
- To coordinate various student activities, the UQ Union was formulated. It includes over 190 affiliated societies and clubs. Some of them are:
1. Business Association
2. Football Club
3. Rugby Club
4. Debating Society
- With teaching sights spread across Queensland, UQ has 3 major campuses at:
1. St. Lucia
Other sights include teaching hospitals, agricultural science farms, veterinary science centres, physics research stations, marine research stations, and an underground mine.
- Apart from being popular because of its research-intensive curriculum, the university is also famous for its beautiful sandstone campus. It was also included in the list of 25 most beautiful campuses all over the world, in 2015.
- The main campus, which is spread across 270 hectares of land, has many beautiful gardens, cycling tracks, and ponds. Also, for those of you who love working out, there’s a sport & fitness centre which can be accessed 24×7 by the students and staff.
- At the St. Lucia campus, there are 10 residential complexes offering various residing options for the students. For those opting to live off-campus, the UQ Rental Program helps in finding the perfect match around the campus.
Events & Activities
- Three Minute Thesis – for the students completing a research degree, it is a challenge in which the participants need to present their research in no more than 180 seconds, in such a form that the whole explanation can be understood by the audience with no prior knowledge in that particular background.
- Market Day – During the first week of each semester/Orientation week, a Market Day is organized at the St. Lucia Campus in which, all the societies and clubs put up their stalls and indulge in various social activities.
- Great Court Race – Around the UQ sandstone Great Court, the varsity organizes an annual 636m sprint race.
- Careers Fair – It is an annual event that brings together students and employers, opening a pool of opportunities for the former party.
At the University of Queensland, the students have so much on the plates that they are never hungry. Be it academics or co-curricular activities, the university never lets its students down. They encounter a vast pool of opportunities in order to transform into leaders for tomorrow.
If you’re still thinking of getting into this university, stop thinking and start doing. Get in touch with us right away and let our experts guide you in the right direction towards achieving your goal.
– Team Leverage